Porterville Unified School District has scheduled kindergarten registration for the district’s ten elementary schools. In accordance with the Kindergarten Readiness Act (Senate Bill 1381), students reaching the age of 5 on or before September 1 can enroll in kindergarten, but those students reaching the age of 5 between September 2 and December 2 will be enrolled in a transitional kindergarten program, which is a two-year program. Students must be present for kindergarten registration.
Registration for Roche Avenue Elementary will be February 21 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. AND 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Registration packets can be picked up at the PUSD District Office - 600 W. Grand Ave.
The following items are required for registration:
- Verification of student’s age by a birth
- Immunizations and medical tests that are required by law before a child can be enrolled in school:
- Minimum of 3 IPV (oral polio vaccine) and 4 DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) if both are given after the 4th birthday. However, a child will be fully immunized with 4 IPV and 5 DPT, regardless of the age in which the last dose was received.
- Two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) administered after the 1st birthday.
- One PPD (mantoux), tuberculin skin test including results.
- Three doses of hepatitis B immunizations are required for kindergarten entry.
- One dose Varicella (chickenpox vaccine) or health care provider-documented varicella disease or immunity.
- A physical examination is required before a child can enter first grade. It is a good idea to get this examination at the same time the child goes to the doctor for the required immunizations for kindergarten. Forms for the physical examination may be picked up at the school prior to the registration or the day of the registration. The state required dental assessment forms for students entering kindergarten will also be available at the schools.
- Verification of Residency – 2 different bills verifying address
Parents who are not able to enroll their children during the formal registration may go to the school office on any school day after the enrollment date listed above.
Please call the school site or the Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services (793-2453) if you have questions regarding kindergarten registration.